Aha! (esound and kernel 2.4)

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 12:57:57PM -0500, Dan Nguyen wrote:

> Here's a unknown fact, if you recompile esound and remove the security
> patch and have it use the local unix socket instead.  Things worked.

Wow!  I can confirm that.  I did this:

$ apt-get source esound
$ tar fvvxz esound-0.2.20.orig
$ cd esound-0.2.20.orig
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
$ make
$ make install
$ /etc/init.d/gdm restart

Then all problems disappeared!

So, apparently the switch from a unix to a BSD socket doesn't agree well
with the use of kernel 2.4.0-testXX.  The 2.2 kernel doesn't care which
kind of socket I use; esd works fine either way on kernel 2.2.

What's up with BSD sockets in the latest kernel, or at least what's up with
esd's use of them?

--
Thomas E. Vaughan <thomas.vaughan@nssl.noaa.gov>
CIMMS/NSSL, Norman, OK, USA