Re: [RFC] Measuring skills of a Debian Developer

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 03:02:47AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Eray" == Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> writes:
>
>  Eray> That's the idea. But you need to register your ITP's before you package
>  Eray> something right?
>
> 	Do you have a vasic clue why that is a good idea?

It's a good idea, because it has been effective in preventing duplication
of effort and it has let others to watch progress.

>  Eray> IMHO this would be more related to sociology than undergrad organisation
>  Eray> theory. It is also a field where no seminal work is present.
>  Eray> I'd urge you to go ahead and find some papers on peer-review systems
>  Eray> if you'd like. Today, I think there's no really great peer-review
>  Eray> system that works on interconnected networks.
>
> 	peer review system that works on intercoinnected networks? Are
>  you merely plugging words together that uyou do not understand?

Manoj, interconnected networks = Internet. peer-review = something that
scientists do to verify the quality of work done. If there's anything
else that's obscure, please ask me in private rather than attempting at
word play on a public list. Thanks. Of course you can ask your instructors,
too.

In addition to this, there really isn't a good peer-review system that
has "interconnected interoperability". This is another technical term
which means that the system is distributed, ie no central authority is
present, etc.] Pretty much like USENET or Internet.

>  Eray> The idea is making things in the open. Why is that? Because, as
>  Eray> you will have noticed we are interested in the work done rather
>  Eray> than authorship!
>
> 	So, in order to help in some project, we need a databse of
>  skillz to have it in the open? Without a databse things are closed?

Exactly. The list is a digital heap of information, however unarranged
and disorganized. People shouldn't have to follow this list in order
to know what's going on. That way "outsiders" can have a look at what's
been done. As a verification, consider the news on debian's home page.
Why do you think only significant items are there? The list is not
efficient enough. There are of course a *lot* of other reasons which
I'm sure that you can figure out by yourself if you think about it.
That's why I wrote briefly, I thought people here could evaluate the
implications. If not clear, just ask.

>  Eray> If people have a way to electronically examine how projects are
>  Eray> going, then they can use their volunteer time more efficiently,
>
> 	How does a databse of skillz help us see how well projects are
>  going? And how exactly is knowing how well a project is going (and
>  knowing that such an estimate is not an absolute metric) help one
>  efficiently use ones time? Should one not helkp in a project going
>  well(Debian)? Should one not help on a project in its infancy? Should
>  one not help a project that is foundering?

It enables a program to match skills with skill requirements of tasks.
The "shoulds" you mention are irrelevant.

>  Eray> and more people can work on the projects they want. That's one
>  Eray> aspect. Another aspect is about automation. Now, of course you
>
> 	A databse of skillz helps us automate projects?

Not the projects, but the work distribution and certain communications.

It should be persistent (then a database) and formally organized
so that a program can work on it.

> 	A database of skillz is an efficient way of communicating?
>  Incidentally, email list are more reliable (and arguably, efficient)
>  thanpagers, IRC, OCQ, and phone tag games.

What I'm talking about is not an instant messaging system.

>  Eray> there's BTS and WNPP in the first place, you can point out to
>  Eray> better examples I'm sure.
>
> 	And why is the BTS a more efficient communications medium than
>  a mailing list?

All right, there is a simple answer. Why does it *exist* ? Once you
can answer that, you will also be able to answer why it is better than
a mailing list.

>  Eray> What kind of an infrastructure is suitable for that?
>
> 	A big huge databse, with fast access, and easy for people to
>  fill in when they have tiem to spend.

More than that. It should be a system with plausible interfaces, but
more than a database. There must be programs that process the data.

>  Eray> Ultimately, I'm convinced that this is something that we
>  Eray> wouldn't be able to figure out in a short time.
>
> 	A) speak for yourself. B) it is nice to see when some one
>   knows their own limitations.

As someone who's been involved with the research side of such things,
I see no *best* solution. Perhaps you'd like to teach us a few tricks, eh?
It'd make a great research work. ;)

> 	Of course, it would help if we had a goal that was served by
>  this exercise, but don't let that stop you now.

I cannot follow your reasoning. I'm merely suggesting ideas.

>  Eray> The thing is that the system should not care who it is dealing
>  Eray> with.  So basically, there won't be "someone" assigning you "a
>  Eray> task". You'd just register if you're looking for some project
>  Eray> to work in your volunteer time. As I said, like the GNU task
>  Eray> list. You shouldn't have to register or it shouldn't be a
>  Eray> strict requirement to get things done. [***]
>
> 	Oh, I see, No oe assigns you to a task, you just register. So
>  this databse is an information sink? Who uses this  information, i
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  ha ha ha!

>  anyone?
>
> 	This was wonderful comic relief. Please continue.

Read more, speak less Manoj. You haven't even understood what I'm talking
about.

And btw, you don't have the right to judge people by the superficial
and immature means that you attempt at. I started reading your mail with
good intentions, but as I came to the end it occured to me why you
have been writing all this. I'd joked about the way you referred to an
IQ test you took, right? Don't take it personally. Anyone who made such
an _immature_ remark would receive the same reaction.

Regards,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr