Re: Helix debian packages

>>>>> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 12:41:45 -0500, Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> said:

 Joseph> On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 11:22:54AM -0400, James LewisMoss
 Joseph> wrote:
 >> The only differences I see between helix and debian gnome are
 >> 1) The little bootup dialog has a different image
 >> 2) The image in the menu bar is a flower rather than the helix
 >> loki-like guy.

 Joseph> They also have better default configurations, more stuff

OK.  Got an example?

 Joseph> packaged, better package integration, and often they have

let's see.  They have bug-buddy, eog, evolution, helix sawfish themes,
pspell-ispell, some extra gtk themes, and some extra sawfish themes.

 Joseph> faster response times on bug fixes.

And this is the "Peter is paid to do this" thing.  Of course they are
going to have faster bug fixes.  That's life.

 >> And gosh of course we suck because ya know debian people have jobs
 >> that don't relate to debian.  The helix guys do this for a living.
 >> So complaining that the debian packages don't get fixed as quickly
 >> is just lame.  That's life in the world of volunteerism.  You want
 >> me to fix gnome bugs more quickly?  Pay me to do it.

 Joseph> People are getting paid to do it - at least Peter is.  What I
 Joseph> see is a massive duplication of effort.  Helix is doing it
 Joseph> and making it available.  With the exception of a couple of

OK.  So why shouldn't we use the debian packages?  Debian people who
have been packaging gnome for a while are doing it.

 Joseph> trademark images we're not sure of, the packages are free to
 Joseph> include in Debian.  So why not set up a CVS repository and
 Joseph> have Debian and Helix people both working on the Debian
 Joseph> packages together?  If there are indeed so few differences
 Joseph> (and I think there are more than you realize), this would be
 Joseph> trivial.  Even if there are more differences, for the most
 Joseph> part the Helix packages have better integration, so I'd
 Joseph> suggest starting there.

OK.  With gnome-games, gnome-pim, gnome-utils I can say pretty
surely.  The differences are minimal.  The rest I don't know about.

 Joseph> Of course, that's too simple and logical to be likely to
 Joseph> happen.  Still, as someone who has had to try both of them,

Gosh.  Ya wanna know why it isn't happening?  Because Peter (no
offense to him here.  His decision is perfectly normal and reasonable)
didn't have time to get the helix packages into debian.  If he had had
time he'd be at least maintaining the ones I still maintain plus a few
others.

Now.  Since you seem to have more than enough time to complain about
something you should have more than enough time to set up the
wonderful cvs repository you speak of above.  Let me know when you get
done.

 Joseph> I'd rather stick with Helix.  The minor packaging bugs are

So when was the last time you tried the debian packages?

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@debian.org>      |  Blessed Be!
@    http://jimdres.home.mindspring.com |  Linux is kewl!