Re: Helix debian packages

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 11:22:54AM -0400, James LewisMoss wrote:
> The only differences I see between helix and debian gnome are
> 1) The little bootup dialog has a different image
> 2) The image in the menu bar is a flower rather than the helix
>    loki-like guy.

They also have better default configurations, more stuff packaged, better
package integration, and often they have faster response times on bug
fixes.

> And gosh of course we suck because ya know debian people have jobs
> that don't relate to debian.  The helix guys do this for a living.  So
> complaining that the debian packages don't get fixed as quickly is
> just lame.  That's life in the world of volunteerism.  You want me to
> fix gnome bugs more quickly?  Pay me to do it.

People are getting paid to do it - at least Peter is.  What I see is a
massive duplication of effort.  Helix is doing it and making it available.
With the exception of a couple of trademark images we're not sure of, the
packages are free to include in Debian.  So why not set up a CVS
repository and have Debian and Helix people both working on the Debian
packages together?  If there are indeed so few differences (and I think
there are more than you realize), this would be trivial.  Even if there
are more differences, for the most part the Helix packages have better
integration, so I'd suggest starting there.

Of course, that's too simple and logical to be likely to happen.  Still,
as someone who has had to try both of them, I'd rather stick with Helix.
The minor packaging bugs are not even a serious problem if you use the
task package which pulls in all of Helix anyway (and besides, it's Gnome,
installing one package would pull in half of them anyway..  By the time
you install three, you have most everything already.)

<Manoj> I *like* the chicken