Re: debian-keyring, what's happened?

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 02:44:49PM +0100, James Troup wrote:
> o) It's not just a matter of volunteering for help and like magic
>    useful volunteers appear.  There's the problem that more often than
>    not, when it actually comes down to doing stuff the throngs of
>    volunteers seem to melt faster than butter on a hot cake.  The
>    security team, the ftp team and the new new-maintainer team can all
>    relate stories of one or more volunteers who signed up and then did
>    absolutely nothing.

Yes, and the new maintainer team was expanded and renewed and is working
now.

You don't seem to have the time to do the keyring maintenance promptly,
on the other hand you stick to the power by raising the trust-question:

> o) This is the keyring we're talking about, it's not like I can just
>    accept any developer who volunteers.

You are not saying which volunteers you could accept.
This leaves the requirements in the void. For the time the decision to
accept a volunteers help seems to be an entirely subjective one, it is
hardly on you to complain about lack of help.

The requirements for a key to be updated are objctive and can be supervised.
The only act that requires real priviledge is the installation of the
keyring on master. By writing down the steps that need to be followed before
updating a key, two or three volunteers who supervise each other can do it
without trust issues involved.

Thanks,
Marcus