Re: Debian in Yugoslavia

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 11:25:15AM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> It is true that Croatian and Bosnian governments are feeding the
> respective languages (via newspapers, school textbooks etc) with
> archaic words, dialect words and similar, in a stubborn attempt to
> differenciate the languages as much as possible.

But of course. What other national government wouldn't do that? :)

> Of course, if you ask (any) Croat or Bosnian, s/he will vehemently deny
> that there ever was anything like Serbo-Croatian,

Vehement? Euhm, that definitely wasn't my feeling. Note that I'm a member of
a younger generation, so I was lucky to escape most of political crap that
went on here in this century :)

> and argue that Serbian, Croatian and Bosnian are three really separate
> languages, and give a lot of examples why they are separate.

I think that the most important difference isn't in the linguistic
characteristics of the language, it's in the rest of the story - history
and culture, for the most part.