Re: request for a init script policy

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 11:24:04PM +0200, Andreas Fuchs wrote:

> Yes, but if it does something more suble than that, it can lead to
> some errors that might be hard to trace. Imagine, a user upgrades lpd,
> does not install the new configfile (ie, just presses return when
> asked). After one or two months, the user tries to print a few
> pages...

true..

otoh i tend to think that really not many initscript are going to need
much if any configuration options.  most common perhaps would be
STARTDAEMON=yes this would certianly be cleaner then this
/etc/ssh/no_start_ssh_daemon type files. (and /etc/ppp/no_ppp_on_boot)

[snip]

> This looks quite nontrivial to me. Uh-oh!

yes i think so..  also regenerating the config file based on previous
debconf answers won't work since debconf won't know if the admin later
changes a variable.

> Maybe drop the whole error-prone behavior and have dpkg only issue a
> warning if the new (original) initconf changed from the previous
> (original) version?
>
> The user will most likely have modified the initconf, so the original
> versions of both files must be compared (checksums?)

conffiles are already checked against md5s.  maybe we are making this
more complicated then it needs to be.. hopefully not many incompatible
changes will be made, and if they are why not use the current practice
of echoing something like this:

cat <<EOF
blah init script has incompatible changes please let dpkg replace the
rcconfig file when it asks if you modified it.
EOF

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/