Re: request for a init script policy

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 10:13:34PM +0200, Andreas Fuchs wrote:

> I see your point. Maybe I did get over-enthusiastic. I have not even
> been able to imagine a scenario where this could be necessary yet. I'd
> say, forget it (-:

agreed, lets look at this way: if a user comes across a need for a
fancy function they probably ought to just rewrite the init script
from scratch anyway.  (something i did to fix bind so its not a giant
root shell listening on port 53)

> can't work. config files are supposed to be modified by the user and
> then left alone by dpkg and everything else or to be modified by
> dpkg and then left alone by the user and everything else.

good point, though i have seen some packages do this i assume they are
violating policy..

> Well, either make it a configfile or make it debconfable or use some
> proprietary (sic) means of updating the files.
>
> In this scheme, conffiles are the worst possible solution: say the
> user installs the new version of an init.d script which does:

how is /etc/network/interfaces handled?  it is NOT a conffile but user
configuration must be preserved..

> rm -rf /$NEWVAR

well any init script doing something like that is evil anyway...

> And does not install the new (modified) version of the init.d
> config-file (which is also a conffile, which is also a very different
> matter).
>
> The proprietary way is also quite .. ugly, as it means that you will
> have to reinvent the wheel.
>
> debconf might be the the best solution -- a perl routine to source
> these config-files will be very easy to write -- just put every
> variable (and its value, to be presented as a default) in the
> config-file and every new variable into a hash and then prompt the
> user for everything that is there, new and old values alike -- the old
> ones just have already-present default values.
>
> Output should be easier -- But What To Do About Comments? Oh well. (-:

debconf would seem to be the best solution, but things like comments
really should be preserved.  if this config file cannot be handled
perfectly its not worth doing IMO.  (meaning i would rather deal with
upgrading a single modified script (the initscript) then an initscript
and a initconf)

> That was not dope, that was me having only just crept out of
> bed. Anyway, what be da difference, man? (-;

i dunno, i think redhat's mess had to be induced by something more
potent then lack of sleep. ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/