Re: request for a init script policy

Erik wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 10:58:03PM -0700, tony mancill wrote:
> > While we're discussing this, I'd like to hear comments on the idea of
> > using an /etc/rc.config.d/$package scheme, like that in HP-UX.  This file
> > is a shell script that gets sourced by the /etc/init.d/$package.  It
> > normally has no real code in it, merely environment variables.  What this
> > buys us is the ability to let the end user modify the rc.config.d file and
> > not mess with the init.d script.

> > I realize that this makes more sense for production admins and folks that
> > have to take care of lots of systems, but it doesn't seem like it would
> > harm anything either.

> IANADD, but if it means anything i think this is a great idea.  I have had
> several problems with init scripts not getting changed to newer ones because
> i have modified some variables, and just told dpkg to keep the old script.

> Possibly instead of having the files directly included in the package, have
> a short script that is called by the postinst scripts to manage these.  What
> that would buy us would be the ability for adding new variables to not
> bother the admin, and it would automaticaly keep the old changes.  When
> maintaining many machines all the little things to not bother the admin when
> not necessary during upgrades is great.
>
> For clarity, i mean having something like
>
> init.d-variable sendmail RUN_DAEMON 1
>
> being in the postinst, and if RUN_DAEMON is already defined in the
> /etc/rc.config.d/sendmail file its ignored, and if RUN_DAEMON isn't there
> its added.  Should be a very small shell script i would think.

I think this is a great idea.  I don't see any downside, and being able
to customize machines without fiddling with the init.d scripts would be
a big plus.

I only have half a dozen systems to maintain, but it'd still make life
easier.

jpb
--
Joe Block <jpb@creol.ucf.edu>
CREOL System Administrator

Social graces are the packet headers of everyday life.