Re: request for a init script policy

On 2000-07-03, Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:
> the only request i would made of this is that these config files be
> JUST config files, nothing in them but a couple variables.  please
> don't go running out of control like redhat and have dozens of scripts
> full of functions sourcing yet other scripts with functions creating a
> massive ball of spaghetti...

Hm. What if functions themselves could be customizeable? I know that
redhat's scheme is quite complicated, and I wouldn't recommend debian
to do it the same way. But think emacs's hooks: What if the user could
specify a function (start_hook?) that should be run before the script
checks for start/stop/restart cmdline options or a function that is to
be run after the daemon starts (daemon_started_hook?) etc?

If these things could be moved to a seperate file, you could reduce
the times users have to edit the init.d script by hand even more, thus
saving them even more hassle with customized init.d scripts.

> and even if the init.d script have a seperate file to configure them,
> the init.d script itself must remain a config file to dpkg.

As must the seperate file itself. What if the maintainer chooses to
introduce some new variables? Maybe debconf could solve this, though I
don't know how.

Anyway, it _is_ a great idea.

regards,
--
Andreas Stefan Fuchs                             in Real Life aka
asf@acm.org, asfuchs@gmx.at, asf@ycom.at         in NNTP and SMTP,