Re: Locations of ftp, httpd and named directories

Thus spake Torsten Landschoff (torsten@debian.org):

> On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 07:16:54PM +0200, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
>
> > like you've probably read, the new FHS wants the root directories for www,
> > anonymous ftp and DNS moved out of /home, where many Linux distributions
> > used to keep it.

> Good.

While we're at this FHS stuff, can anyone tell me why Debian (at least
potato) still has the /floppy and /cdrom mount points instead of
/mnt/floppy and /mnt/cdrom, as the FHS prescribes?
And what about /var/state? According to the FHS, it shouldn't be used,
while in potato and woody, it is.

> I think it would be nice to group ftp and http access into /var/lib
> or /var/local because I don't think that www and ftp really fit into
> the /var subdirectories (lib, local, www!?)

> Just an idea. What do others think?

According to the FHS, http and ftp data should _not_ go into
/var. The FHS states:

| /var contains variable data files. This includes spool directories and
| files, administrative and logging data, and transient and temporary
| files.
[...]
| Applications should generally not add directories to the top level of
| /var. Such directories should only be added if they have some
| system-wide implication, and in consultation with the FHS mailing list.
(FHS 2.1, chapter 5)

IMO, ftp and http data do not match this description at all.

Furthermore, I can't find anything in the FHS about this data not being
allowed in /home, but I agree it isn't the nicest place to put it.

I personally keep this kind of data (ftp, http, public nfs and smb
exports) in a top-level dir /exports (with subdirs ftp, http, etc.).
But this, too, isn't allowed by the FHS, I am afraid. :-((

--
Kind regards,
| Bas Zoetekouw                  | ``Si l'on sait exactement    |