Re: /mnt

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:

> Thus spake Torsten Landschoff (torsten@debian.org):
>
> > On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 07:16:54PM +0200, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> >
> > > like you've probably read, the new FHS wants the root directories for www,
> > > anonymous ftp and DNS moved out of /home, where many Linux distributions
> > > used to keep it.
>
> > Good.
>
> While we're at this FHS stuff, can anyone tell me why Debian (at least
> potato) still has the /floppy and /cdrom mount points instead of
> /mnt/floppy and /mnt/cdrom, as the FHS prescribes?

Er, what?  FHS has only this to say about /mnt:

3.7  /mnt : Mount point for temporarily mounted filesystems

This directory is provided so that the system administrator may
temporarily mount filesystems as needed.  The content of this directory
is a local issue and should not affect the manner in which any program
is run.

We recommend against the use of this directory by installation programs,
and suggest that a suitable temporary directory not in use by the system
should be used instead.

Nowhere does it say that the CD should be on /mnt/cdrom.

In fact, it is damned annoying to have subdirs in /mnt, because lots of us
are used to "temporarily mounting" things on /mnt.