On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 08:29:38PM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 02:35:31AM +0200, Fabrice Gautier wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 05:41:21PM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> > >
> > > Then why have a gajillion people replied to this proposal by begging
> > > us not to "remove Netscape from Debian"?
> >
> > Maybe because they didn't chose the right words, their concern
> > being "don't remove Netscape debs from your archive because either
> > those debs will disappear or they will not be as good as those
> > currently in non-free and may give my installation poorer quality".
>
> The right words?  Didn't you read Adam's post I was replying to?  John
> basically asserted that Netscape WAS NOT part of Debian, and Adam
> essentially replied, "Yes it is!"

Trust me, I know that non-free is not "officially" part of the distribution.
I was responding to John's semantic argument with a semantic argument of my
own.  Claiming "there will be no change in the distribution" is deceptive,
because while it's technically correct, it's really not true.  The proposal
specifically eliminates the "distribution" of the non-free packages.

If there wasn't going to be a change, then why have a proposal.  Saying there
is "no change" doesn't make any sense -- it's a poor tactic and I was just
pointing that out.

--Adam