On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 09:35:19PM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:
> Trust me, I know that non-free is not "officially" part of the distribution.
> I was responding to John's semantic argument with a semantic argument of my
> own.  Claiming "there will be no change in the distribution" is deceptive,
> because while it's technically correct, it's really not true.  The proposal
> specifically eliminates the "distribution" of the non-free packages.
>
> If there wasn't going to be a change, then why have a proposal.  Saying there
> is "no change" doesn't make any sense -- it's a poor tactic and I was just
> pointing that out.

Ah.  That, at least, is a relief.

I will point out that, if we are really going to be technical about
it, the proposal says nothing about eliminating non-free; it merely
states that Debian will no longer host it.  Thus, the "distribution"
will not change - whether you consider the "distribution" to be Debian
proper, or the "distribution" to be the non-free components.  It will
be up to the maintainers of the "non-free" distribution to find an
alternate home, should the resolution pass.

But, at least, I recant of attributing confusion to your words.