[...]

    Sudhakar> What if there is a set of programs that become vital but
    Sudhakar> are non-free in the future?  I'd consider something like
    Sudhakar> rvplayer important for any Linux desktop.

I do not.  Simple fact of life: what is `vital' is *very* subjective
(of all the non-free packages people have listed as "We cannot do
without", I only consider Netscape Nav/Comm to be important... and
that will be a thing of the past as soon as Mozilla is up to SSL and a
bit more stable (though to me it seems as if it's already as stable as
Netscape anyway ;-)

Oh, and while you're painting horror scenarios: what if this set of
`vital' programs is, say, something we cannot put into non-free
anyway?  You're whole argument breaks down here, IMNSHO.

    >> 5. The existance of the non-free section is being used as a cop-out by
    >> those that seek to peddle non-free wares.

    Sudhakar> I thought the goal of Debian was to produce the best
    Sudhakar> operating system possible.
                               ^^^^^^^^

Yes, you're right, that's (one of the) goal(s) of Debian.  But that
"possible" of course means "possible withing the constraints we've set
us".  *All* we're doing here is reevaluing and resetting these
constraints.

    Sudhakar> I did not know a Jihad against non-free software was the
    Sudhakar> goal.  I always interpreted the Social Contract to have
    Sudhakar> a tone that was 'Live and Let Live' and not 'Live Free
    Sudhakar> or Die'.

Sorry, but this is bullshit, as has been shown time and again in this
thread.  This GR is not about killing non-free software.

Bye, J

PS: Why do I even let myself get sucked into this... :-/

--
Jürgen A. Erhard      eMail: jae@ilk.de      phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
     MARS: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/mars_index.html