Re: Should we divide Debian to usable and unusable

ressu@uusikaupunki.fi (Sami Haahtinen) writes:

> There is no need for me to start filing bugs against packages.. i use
> many 'unusable' packages at the moment, i expect them to crash so it's
> no problem.

You should still report the crashes. Nothing prevents you from using a
package with RC bugs. It *will* prevent most newbies from seeing it,
though, since it will very probably not end up on a official CD.

> and no, version is not the only criteria, but just to tell everyone
> that the first public release should be put out as 1.0 not 0.0.2 or
> something.

I will wide-release a package that is at 0.8, soon. I think the number
is appropriate - it is generally stable, all the features that should
end up in 1.0 are in, but it has not seen testing by more than three
persons.

OTOH I concur that many authors seem to think more in the (0..1) than
in the (1..inf) interval.

There is a life after 1.0!

--
Robbe