Re: Should we divide Debian to usable and unusable

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 02:34:04PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> ressu@uusikaupunki.fi (Sami Haahtinen) writes:
>
> > There is no need for me to start filing bugs against packages.. i use
> > many 'unusable' packages at the moment, i expect them to crash so it's
> > no problem.
>
> You should still report the crashes. Nothing prevents you from using a
> package with RC bugs. It *will* prevent most newbies from seeing it,
> though, since it will very probably not end up on a official CD.

it will prevent it from going to CDs, (well the official ones atleast =)
and the crashes will be reported.. thats why we are here for, to serve
and protect =)

the actual point was in my first mail, that programs that even the author
doesn't feel that it should be released, shouldn't.

> > and no, version is not the only criteria, but just to tell everyone
> > that the first public release should be put out as 1.0 not 0.0.2 or
> > something.
>
> I will wide-release a package that is at 0.8, soon. I think the number
> is appropriate - it is generally stable, all the features that should
> end up in 1.0 are in, but it has not seen testing by more than three
> persons.

as i in some mail mentioned.. maybe i should have checked those figures
as pre 1.0 version which haven't been changed in some 6 months or so. so
the figures would have been more accurate to my claim.

> OTOH I concur that many authors seem to think more in the (0..1) than
> in the (1..inf) interval.
>
> There is a life after 1.0!

usually..