Re: Removing rsh-server is difficult

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 10:25:04AM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 11:08:55AM +0200, Nils Rennebarth wrote:
> > Is rstartd really needed for task-x-window-system?  rsh shouldn't be used
> > anywhere anymore and if rstartd relies on it it should be thrown away as
> > well.

rstartd is still part of the complete X distribution. The task
package says in its description "X Window System (complete)" and
"...as well as a common set of historically popular accessory
programs". For most users it would be sufficient to go with the
package task-x-window-system-core which is also mentioned in the
description. Maybe the package should include a warning about
rsh.

> Possibly if someone did the work to integrate ssh into the system,
> that would solve the problem and the dependencies could be changed.

That is already done :) ssh provides X forwarding (even through a
secret channel) and remote starting of applications. So just
replace rstart by ssh and rstartd by sshd and adjust the
commandlines.

    Ingo
--
My sister became some sort of MS Certified Professional today. I [Telsa] knew
she could do it. She's the only person I know who sends me email with Outlook