Re: apt-get should correctly process dependencies

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 01:05:07PM -0700, Mike Markley wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 05:40:15PM +0000, Pedro Miguel Guerreiro <pmguerre@ualg.pt> spake forth:
> > >
> > > Now this is wrong, it should have picked zmailer-ssl. Anyway, there should
> > > be other packages providing mail-transport-agent, not just zmailer-ssl...
> >
> > Read above. It _must_ pick exim. After all, what's the use of having a default
> > MTA, if the packages don't pick it up when thay need a MTA? ;-)
>
> No, it should depend on the virtual package mail-transport-agent. That's its
> whole reason for existence. Debian prefers free software, but it's not about
> forcing a particular piece of software down your throat.

I said it must _pick_ exim, because exim _is_ the default MTA in Debian
right now, I never said it should _depend_ on it.

> If it were, I'd
> make aide conflict with and replace tripwire ;). Not every sysadmin wants to
> run exim and that's recognized, just as not every sysadmin wants to run
> apache (which is one of the packages that provides httpd), etc. - hence the
> virtual package system.

Your 100% right, but that is not the point. The point is if apt must choose
a virtual package, then it should pick up the one providing this virtual
package with the highest priority, not a random one, as it's doing now.

--
Pedro Guerreiro
Universidade do Algarve (EST) - Campus da Penha - 8000 Faro - PORTUGAL