Re: apt-get should correctly process dependencies

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 05:40:15PM +0000, Pedro Miguel Guerreiro <pmguerre@ualg.pt> spake forth:
> > > Package mailx has broken dep on mail-transport-agent
> > >   Considering zmailer-ssl 0 as a solution to mailx 8
> > >   Holding Back mailx rather than change mail-transport-agent
> >
> > Now this is wrong, it should have picked zmailer-ssl. Anyway, there should
> > be other packages providing mail-transport-agent, not just zmailer-ssl...
> Read above. It _must_ pick exim. After all, what's the use of having a default
> MTA, if the packages don't pick it up when thay need a MTA? ;-)

No, it should depend on the virtual package mail-transport-agent. That's its
whole reason for existence. Debian prefers free software, but it's not about
forcing a particular piece of software down your throat. If it were, I'd
make aide conflict with and replace tripwire ;). Not every sysadmin wants to
run exim and that's recognized, just as not every sysadmin wants to run
apache (which is one of the packages that provides httpd), etc. - hence the
virtual package system.

Mike Markley <mike@markley.org>
PGP: 0xA9592D4D 62 A7 11 E2 23 AD 4F 57  27 05 1A 76 56 92 D5 F6
GPG: 0x3B047084 7FC7 0DC0 EF31 DF83 7313  FE2B 77A8 F36A 3B04 7084

No one may kill a man.  Not for any purpose.  It cannot be condoned.
- Kirk, "Spock's Brain", stardate 5431.6