Re: apt-get should correctly process dependencies

> On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 03:50:53PM +0000, Pedro Miguel Guerreiro wrote:
> > Package mailx has broken dep on smail
>
> This is fine, because it's:
>
> Depends: libc6, smail | mail-transport-agent

What do you mean "This is fine"? :-)
What about that policy rule that says that a package shouldn't depend on a
package with a lower priority? mailx (priority: Important) is depending on
smail, that's not even on the archive.
AFAICT this is a bug.

And what about when I try to install smail with 'apt-get install smail'? It
says that smail doesn't exist, and it offers to install ssmtp. WHAT? ssmtp?
This is a package with 'priority: Extra'. Shouldn't it suggest exim? I think it
should, because exim is 'priority: Important' (and is the Debian default MTA).

> > Package mailx has broken dep on mail-transport-agent
> >   Considering zmailer-ssl 0 as a solution to mailx 8
> >   Holding Back mailx rather than change mail-transport-agent
>
> Now this is wrong, it should have picked zmailer-ssl. Anyway, there should
> be other packages providing mail-transport-agent, not just zmailer-ssl...

Read above. It _must_ pick exim. After all, what's the use of having a default
MTA, if the packages don't pick it up when thay need a MTA? ;-)

> > From what I can see, the problem is with smail. mailx depends on smail,
                                             ^^^^^
Opps, I meant mailx, not smail.

> > but it should depend on exim, as this is the default MTA on a Debian
> > system.
>
> That shouldn't be the cause of this problem, although changing the
> dependency would be good :)

>From all that I've said (and seen), I think the problem is deeper than just
mailx/smail/exim.

When I package need some service provided by a virtual package
(mail-transport-agent, x-terminal, whatever), apt should pick up the one with
the highest priority, not the first one it sees. From what I'm seeing, it
isn't. Or am I missing something?

Cheers,
pmg