Re: Pgcc in Deb

Eray Ozkural <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> writes:

> I mean *maximum* here. About 50% was something I saw at the extreme for a
> 3d visualization that I was developing when I used -march=i586. I don't
> think it can get any better. However, I would estimate something better
> than 5% on the average. Up to 10% for the pessimistic, and up to 20% for the
> optimistic estimate.

Again highly inaccurate.  Run wmcpu sometime on a workstation that
only you are using.  Note the CPU load meter at the top.  Note how
there is usually ZERO CPU activity, and that most of the rest will
occur while accessing the drive (if you have IDE disks).  No matter
how good it is, no optimizer can achieve a 5% speedup on a program
that spends over 99% of its lifetime idle anyway.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
  via Remote