Re: Pgcc in Deb

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 11:35:08AM +0300, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Apr 2000 20:28:41 David Starner wrote:
>
> > Um, that's not what I've heard. Since optimizing for the Pentium
> > will sometimes pessimize the Pentium (Pro, II, III), and the
> > speedup from most programs is not that great, and anything that
> > needs it can be recompiled locally, it wasn't worth the archive
> > space or the manpower or extra trouble.
>
> I disagree. From experience, I know that up to %50 speedup can be gained
> in number crunching stuff. I'd suspect %20 could be pretty normal for
> most CPU hungry apps, and the overall speedup would be significant.

Compared to gcc 2.95 with -march=i686 (or i586, as the case may be)? That
sounds a lot higher from what I've heard, even from those who would boost
it (the Intel engineers, for instance.)

Be that as it may, you didn't answer the rest of my claims, or the arguments
that's too unstable to be used. Nobody's going to complain if someone puts
together a pgcc deb, but a pgcc/i686 distribution is going to take up manpower
and archive space that the developers* don't want to support.

* Or "from the general trend on debian-devel, it can be
summised that most of . . ."

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
Only a nerd would worry about wrong parentheses with