Re: 6 days till Bug Horizon

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 05:27:07PM -0600, David Starner wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 06:05:49PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> > This
> > relates to the larger question of why we're so determined to package the
> > whole world, including programs with version numbers like 0.4.1; just
> > because something's been announced on freshmeat doesn't mean it's ready
> > for stable.
>
> Because frequently 0.4.1 can be a useful program, at least in the open
> source world. When a package is the best or only tool for its job, we can
> frequently overlook many shortcomings because we need the tool. Is it
> useful is the question that should be asked, not is it stable or is it
> cool.

No, all of those questions should be asked. If the program is fairly
unstable in its current state and is updated frequently, I don't see any
reason to put it into stable so an old buggy release can be enshrined
for the next year. It will still be available in unstable, and the
version there should be kept much more up to date. It's a question of self
control, not censorship. Getting packages removed from debian has
historically proven much more difficult than getting them in. So what's
the problem with taking a minute to ask if a particular piece of
software is ready to be put into a distribution we're presenting to our
users as a stable, mature operating system?

--
Mike Stone