Re: wterm in potato

On 19-Feb-00, 20:46 (CST), Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> wrote:
> Well, if the bug prevents anyone speaking Russian (how many thousands of our
> users is that?) from using wterm, then I think it fits the description of
> "any other bug which makes the package unsuitable for release."

Hmmm. Interesting criterion. Dpkg doesn't support Chinese. Yep,
unsuitable for release. (And before anybody flames, no, I'm not claiming
multi-language support is unimportant.)

> Besides, to intentionally not have a bug fixed in the stable release can be
> called ignoring it.

So we have to get rid of *all* bugs before we can release! So much for
March... (Yes, I know that's not what you wrote....but it was such an
easy leap!)

> Perhaps my point is that the release manager has the final say on whether a
> bug is RC or not. He obviously decided it was RC enough to warrant removal
> of wterm from frozen. (until it gets fixed)

Of course the release manager has final say (that's why I wrote "it's
Richard's opinion that matters", assuming that Richard Braakman is still
release manager). I'd bet a significant sum that the RM didn't actually
look very close at the bug or the fix, but only the priority, assuming
that the bug reporter and/or package maintainer had ensured that it was
set correctly. This time, it looks as if that's not correct.

(I'm not dissing Richard, btw. He doesn't have time to examine each
and every bug: he gathers and warns and saves his time for the truly
critical issues such as dpkg and glibc.)

> And in this specific case, bug can be fixed quite easily. So there is no
> reason to downgrade a bug's severity, yet a lot of you US-ASCII (or
> whatever) users want to do it, instead of simply fixing the package.

No, I think the package should be fixed. But I also thing the bug
severities should be treated and used properly. Ease of fix has nothing
to do with it. As for being a nasty uncaring US-ASCII user, probably so.
I'd be more concerned if we didn't have 19 other term programs that *do*
work.

(Should you be annoyed with the maintainer? Perhaps. Should someone who
cares about the package do an NMU? Perhaps. Is it all too late anyway to
get wterm into potato? Perhaps. Could that have been done in the time
we've spent arguing about it? Probably. Do I care any more? Absolutely
not.)

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <vmole@swbell.net>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read