Re: ITP: Slash, Sourceforge (fwd)

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 10:26:18AM -0500, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> Slash is the code behind http://slashdot.org. It provides web based
> discussion forums.  Version 0.90 was just released today under the GPL.

cool.  people have been waiting for this for a long time.

> The only problem I see with both these sites, is they depend on MySQL
> databases.

gross. why do people insist on using the non-free mysql when postgres is
(a) technically far superior and (b) free (BSD type license)?

i don't get it. postgres is much better, it's just as fast on everything
except *bulk* creation/updating of records (which is of negligible
importance for most web databases) - and even then, mysql only achieves
the extra speed because it lacks features like record locking. for
queries and normal use, mysql is no faster than postgres.

> How should I handle this?

slash is perl, so if it uses DBI i'd suggest hacking it to use DBD::Pg
rather than DBD::mysql. that shouldn't be a huge amount of work. a
different script to create the tables and minor alterations to the SQL
commands.

otherwise, hack it to use postgres directly and submit the changes back
upstream (don't you love it when someone volunteers you for hard work :)

craig

--
craig sanders