Re: ITP: Slash, Sourceforge (fwd)

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 09:25:46PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 10:26:18AM -0500, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
>
> > Slash is the code behind http://slashdot.org. It provides web based
> > discussion forums.  Version 0.90 was just released today under the GPL.
>
> cool.  people have been waiting for this for a long time.
>
> > The only problem I see with both these sites, is they depend on MySQL
> > databases.
>
> gross. why do people insist on using the non-free mysql when postgres is
> (a) technically far superior and (b) free (BSD type license)?
>
> i don't get it. postgres is much better, it's just as fast on everything
> except *bulk* creation/updating of records (which is of negligible
> importance for most web databases) - and even then, mysql only achieves
> the extra speed because it lacks features like record locking. for
> queries and normal use, mysql is no faster than postgres.
That is the whole point though.  People use MySQL it is faster for what they are
doing though.  It doesn't matter which features of SQL92 are missing, as
long as the features you want are still there.  When your running a site like slashdot, with as many hits as it receives you want to get the VERY most bang
for your buck.  If you read the license it isn't incredibly restrictive either.
The license may not fit the DFSG, but it is open source that i can take the
program, modify it, and release my own version.  The only restrictions on this
is that I must make it obvious that i did modify the program, and it must
stay under the same license.