Re: Some comments for a smarter installation

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 01:18:15AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Frank Knappe <knappe@tu-harburg.de> writes:
>
> > 1. Prepared profiles:
> > A nice think but the realization isn't perfect. I choosed the
> > scientific workstation. This yields in a lot of programs for the
> > same purpose. One example: I had now emacs19, emacs20 and xemacs20.
> > This is at least one *macs to much. Why not add some additional
> > questions, in which somebody could choose his favorite programs?
> > A completly manual installation via dselect isn't useable for
> > a newbie.
>
> This has been gutted for potato.  I suspect that in potato the profile
> system is not going to be all that great -- but at least we're using a
> system we can build on and improve incrementally.  Anyone can add new
> tasks by creating a metapackage, calling 'task-<whatever>'.  Run the
> 'tasksel' command (from the pkg with the same name) to see the task
> selector.  You can use this at any time, not just install time.

I am thinking of doing a debian-snapshot or whatever command, that will save
the state of a current (like listing of all installed packages, and save the
changed config files). This could produce a task-* package that could be used
later.

does the task-* stuff also work if i don't use dselect ?

> > 4. During the installation process a kernel will be compiled. This kernel
> > includes some modules. If you later compile your own kernel without any
> > modules then you get you get warnings during the boot process.
> > What can you do against this? A better documentation in kernel-package?
>
> I don't understand this one...  We don't compile kernels during the
> install process ...

What he means, is that if i use a module less kernel, there are still modules
arround, and modconf, or whatever will give a warning at boot time. this is
not a boot-floppies problem, but a modutils or whatever one.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER