Re: Mesa3.1 breaks more than just NURBS (was: Re: Where is libgl?)

Joseph Carter wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 12:03:55PM +0100, Filip Van Raemdonck wrote:

> > decided to switch over to a new build. This had a few nasty side effects
> > on the glx quakeworld (both self built from source and the older
> > binaries):
> > - gl_ztrick broke (known issue)
>

> > - console transparency broke
>
> I noticed that..  I think WE broke that, but I'm looking in to it.

As I said, everything I saw here happened with the older, binary-only
glqwcl.glx binary as well (It doesn't have demo's by itself, but I
learned some time ago, before quake source was released, that you *can*
record demo's with it and timedemo them just as in the regular client.
Besides, I'm talking about a few weeks ago, and I think I hadn't even
used the quakeforge source back then, but anyway I am sure it's not the
quakeforge project which broke all these - it's either Mesa3.1 or
utah-glx

> > - gl_flashblend broke
> > - quake just got slower (dropped from 29.2 fps consistently to 25.3,
> > also consistently).
> >
> > So I wouldn't really say that just one feature broke in Mesa 3.1 -
> > unless off course these problems are all caused by the glx driver and
> > not mesa ;-)
>
> I was unaware of gl_flashblend being broken, I will attempt to figure out
> what exactly that does and does not do.
I believe it was gl_flashblend 1 which didn't work anymore - it got just
ignored. Now the other setting looks a LOT better, but when you're
talking about <30 fps you're willing to sacrifice that in exchange for
those last fps. (I also suspect the fps drop could be caused by this not
functioning anymore)

> QuakeForge dropped dramatically in FPS when I upgraded to 2.2.14, I have
> no idea why.  Please realize what's in the archive is 0.0.9 (0.1.0-pre
> actually but dpkg can't handle such things)  If you're getting any of
> those problems with the version in CVS (some of them I know you're getting
> like gl_ztrick and console transparency) I will try to resolve them and
> possibly backport the necessary features from newer Mesa or even from the
> older Mesa as is appropriate...  (CVS is good, love your CVS--until it
> does something insanely stupid that is...  Then curse the hell out of it
> and start editing CVS/* to fix its brain damage...)
Well, I've been to busy with a work project last two weeks for really
testing the latest quakeforge stuff, but now that's finished and I'll
give it a try this evening, along with the new drivers from nvidia's
site - see if they fix some of this.

> > ps. I'm on a riva tnt, so the framerate is driver limited - that's why I
> > keep getting exactly the same fps each time I'm running timedemo.
>
> Yeah.  I can't exactly say the Riva drivers work all that hot.  In fact I
> can say that Riva is not on my wishlist for a new video card.  I do want a
> G400 MAX or a Voodoo5 (when they ship) though!  ;>

Yeah, unfortunately the only card with linux 3d support back when I
bought it was voodoo2...

> --
> Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Debian Linux developer
> http://tank.debian.net   GnuPG key  pub 1024D/DCF9DAB3  sub 2048g/3F9C2A43