Re: Where is libgl?

    James> I appreciate the mail. You were very brief on IRC and it
    James> wasn't clear what your problem was.

Sorry about that. :/

    James> Mesa aims to emulate OpenGL 1.2. Since the API isn't
    James> supposed to have changed, I don't like the idea of changing
    James> the package name. If the handling of NURBS has changed
    James> which is correct, the old version or the new one? They
    James> can't both be right.

The new one is wrong. I have found NURBS code from both me and
other folks that works under Mesa 3.0, Solaris OpenGL, and IRIX
OpenGL, but causes segfaults *INTERNAL* to Mesa 3.1.

It's 3.1's fault, just buggy NURBS code.

    James> Until I have some hard facts, I'm not changing anything. As
    James> it is, it is unclear whether mesa 3.1 will make it into the
    James> next release.

Well, that's probably a good thing. I'd suggest 3.0 stay until the
next release.

    Ben> Besides, the existing mesag3 package used the library name
    Ben> 'libMesaGL' and the new ones use 'libGL' -- they're totally
    Ben> different! This will mess up dependancies, won't it? Packages
    Ben> will still depend on 'mesag3', but the binaries will look for
    Ben> 'libMesaGL' and only find 'libGL'!

    James> Dependencies were already messed up. All packages should be
    James> linked using -lGL. All the packages providing support for
    James> opengl will provide lib{GL,GLU}.

You do realize that this breaks xscreensaver-gl, xlockmore-gl, and
*ANY* other program that's linked with -lMesaGL? They'll just silently
no longer work when the user installs the new mesag3 package, as
libMesaGL will disappear from under them.

This is probably an issue for woody. I agree that we do need to
eventually move to Mesa 3.1, but not so close to release. It'd require
rebuilding of all the packages linked with -lMesaGL, which are:

cthugha, vis5d, giram-mesa, vrwave, xlockmore-gl, plib1, geomview,
v-bin, xplanet, libgtkada1, ssystem, grmonitor, gltt-bin, vreng, pose,
clanlib0-display-glx, wmanager, xmame-gl, blender, xscreensaver-gl,
yacas, bzflag, space-orbit, pdl, xmms, htmldoc, freewrl, wine,
libfox0.99, dx, terraform, libgtkgl0, gem, moonlight, glbiff.

This is a HUGE number of packages to break so close to release!
Please, please, reconsider..

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters F and T and the number 1.
"If you turn both processors off, you will have to reboot."