Mesa3.1 breaks more than just NURBS (was: Re: Where is libgl?)

Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 03:22:47PM -0800, Ben Gertzfield wrote:
> >     James> the package name. If the handling of NURBS has changed
> >     James> which is correct, the old version or the new one? They
> >     James> can't both be right.
> > The new one is wrong. I have found NURBS code from both me and
> > other folks that works under Mesa 3.0, Solaris OpenGL, and IRIX
> > OpenGL, but causes segfaults *INTERNAL* to Mesa 3.1.
> >
> > It's 3.1's fault, just buggy NURBS code.

> Now Quake is free software (GPL'd in fact) and I will be greatly upset if
> people can't even install it just because one feature you use in Mesa
> happens to be broken in the current release.

Well, I am using the matrox/nvidia/ati/... glx driver. They've switched
to mesa3.1 when it was even in beta stage a few months ago, and I've
decided then not to update anymore because I play xracer quite often -
and it got broken with mesa3.1 because of assumed misuse of display
lists - so I kept with a build from middle of september.
Now since xracer is in a rewrite, and with mesa3.1 coming out of beta, I
decided to switch over to a new build. This had a few nasty side effects
on the glx quakeworld (both self built from source and the older
binaries):
- gl_ztrick broke (known issue)
- console transparency broke
- gl_flashblend broke
- quake just got slower (dropped from 29.2 fps consistently to 25.3,
also consistently).

So I wouldn't really say that just one feature broke in Mesa 3.1 -
unless off course these problems are all caused by the glx driver and
not mesa ;-)

ps. I'm on a riva tnt, so the framerate is driver limited - that's why I
keep getting exactly the same fps each time I'm running timedemo.

Regards,

Filip

--
Get a life. Get Windows(tm). It makes you wanna spend a lot less time
with your pc.

filipvr@xs4all.be              Helpdesk        Tel: +32/(0)9/265.02.05
http://www.xs4all.be        Webengineering     Fax: +32/(0)9/265.02.50