Re: Where is libgl?

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 12:33:39PM -0800, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

>     James> Please do and test it a lot. Playing lots of quake
>     James> work. You probably never thought you could help Debian by
>     James> playing games, did you?
>
> I think I've reported this to you before, but please, please, don't
> name them mesag3 and mesag-dev, et cetera! Mesa 3.1 is pretty much
> incompatible with Mesa 3.0 on the NURBS side (i.e. it CRASHES OVER AND
> OVER AGAIN :) and it's worthless for anyone doing any OpenGL curved
> surface work.
>
> I've reported this as a bug upstream but they haven't responded.
>
> Please name your 3.1 packages something more like libmesa3.1 or
> mesag3.1 instead of over-writing the old ones.

I appreciate the mail. You were very brief on IRC and it wasn't clear
what your problem was. Mesa aims to emulate OpenGL 1.2. Since the API
isn't supposed to have changed, I don't like the idea of changing the
package name. If the handling of NURBS has changed which is correct,
the old version or the new one? They can't both be right.

Until I have some hard facts, I'm not changing anything. As it is,
it is unclear whether mesa 3.1 will make it into the next release.

> Besides, the existing mesag3 package used the library name 'libMesaGL'
> and the new ones use 'libGL' -- they're totally different! This will
> mess up dependancies, won't it? Packages will still depend on
> 'mesag3', but the binaries will look for 'libMesaGL' and only find
> 'libGL'!

Dependencies were already messed up. All packages should be linked
using -lGL. All the packages providing support for opengl will
provide lib{GL,GLU}.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org