should installed daemons automatically restart upon upgrade?

In a parallel problem to this thread:  I have gpm installed for those times
when I am doing a lot of console work, but generally I don't run it because
it interferes with Quake II, among other things.  So I did an:

update-rc.d -f gpm remove

But when gpm was upgraded by apt, the package's postinst did an:

/etc/init.d/gpm start

Is this correct behavior?  I think we definitely need to come to a conclusion
on this issue.  There should definitely be a way to specify which packages you
want to actually run out of the installed packages.

--
Colin Walters <levanti@verbum.org>
http://web.verbum.org/levanti