Re: freedom-subtracted.debian.org (was: Re: KDE)

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 01:55:04PM -0500, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <gaia@iki.fi> writes:
>
>    I know a sysadmin here, for whom I have great respect, who says he's
>    being turned off by Debian because everything we do is Official Debian
>    this, Official Debian that.  [...]
>
> Do you have any idea what he means by that? What's wrong with releasing
> official CDs?

We've talked about it.  What I write here are my own impressions only,
though.

I believe it's mostly a perceptional issue.  The existence of an Official
Debian system (be it whatever it is) seems to imply that there are less
worthy Debian systems.  Likewise, a  Debian CD would not seem as good
as an Official Debian CD.  Of course he understands the reasoning and
the history behind the Official CD thing, but intellect seldom overrides
perception, unfortunately.

                 "Fight them without becoming them."
           (J. Michael Straczynski: Babylon 5, 3rd Season)