Re: Quake is GPL

On 99-12-24 Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 10:22:39AM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > Please think about this again, after you read the emails from Eduardo
> > and Nils. I currently set up a new mirror for Debian in Germany, but if
> > we will have quake in the debian-archive, I will have to first the
> > current laws here in germany and then maybe close the FTP-Server just
> > because it may be illegal to distribute quake and the FTP-Server is
> > located at the firm, where I work. So plese don't upload software in the
> > debian-archives, that is/could be illegal in some countries.

> Linux itself is illegal in "some countries" and quake is ALREADY in the
> archive.  In fact, quake was in the archive before it was my package,

Well, I think this is a problem about which we should discuss on
debian-legal or ask some lawyers to get a clear sight what is illegal
and what not. I think I will ask my lawyer on monday or tuesday.

> before I was even a developer for that matter.  I'm guessing this is
> another reason why the package pool Guy wants to implement is a necessity.

Right, but we could also first inform us about the problem and then
think about a good solution, before we maybe break more laws then we
have now.

Ciao
     Christian
* Christian Kurz                          Debian Developer/QA-Team *
*               Use Debian - a free Operating System               *