Re: Quake is GPL

On 99-12-24 Chris Lawrence wrote:
> On Dec 24, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > Please think about this again, after you read the emails from Eduardo
> > and Nils. I currently set up a new mirror for Debian in Germany, but if
> > we will have quake in the debian-archive, I will have to first the
> > current laws here in germany and then maybe close the FTP-Server just
> > because it may be illegal to distribute quake and the FTP-Server is
> > located at the firm, where I work. So plese don't upload software in the
> > debian-archives, that is/could be illegal in some countries.

> I suspect that the part of Quake that the German authorities have a
> problem with are the data files, not the game engine itself.

Maybe, but I never informed myself completely about the laws here in
germany.

> OTOH, we do need a "Banned-In" control field for packages, so we can
> assist governments in their Quixotic endeavor to control the hearts
> and minds of their citizens.

No, this is definitely bad. We should better show the governments that
prohibitions are no agents to control people and their behaviour.

Ciao
     Christian
* Christian Kurz                          Debian Developer/QA-Team *
*               Use Debian - a free Operating System               *