[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: September Release?

On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 10:29:14PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 08:00:52PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 01:39:16AM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > But yes, I will protest most strongly if we freeze before I get 3.3.4
> > > packaged.  I got way too much grief from people for leaving in
> > > slink even though our freeze schedule pretty much made that decision for
> > > me.
> > 
> > If we have a short freeze-time this should not be an issue. 
> > On the other hand, it would be good to have some definate goals for
> > potato so that we can actually know when is the right time to freeze.
> The las time this was discussed it was determined better not to have release
> goals anymore. Just freeze, fix bugs, release.

Then we need a schedule. My point is that there must be some trigger for
a freeze -- either a set date, or a set of release goals. Otherwise we could
continue forever without a freeze. I don't mind whether it's a set of goals
or a date -- actually, both might be good, since it will push the goals
through too.

> > Why not wait for Linux 2.4 while we're at it?
> No! This will delay us another few months I am sure.

I wasn't serious. But Branden wants to wait for X to be released.
In the same vein, we could wait for a new kernel. (We shouldn't, though.)

Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD). 
CCs of replies from mailing lists are welcome.

Reply to: