Re: September Release?

hi

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 10:29:14PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > >
> > > If we have a short freeze-time this should not be an issue.
> > > On the other hand, it would be good to have some definate goals for
> > > potato so that we can actually know when is the right time to freeze.
> >
> > The las time this was discussed it was determined better not to have release
> > goals anymore. Just freeze, fix bugs, release.
>
> Then we need a schedule. My point is that there must be some trigger for
> a freeze -- either a set date, or a set of release goals. Otherwise we could
> continue forever without a freeze. I don't mind whether it's a set of goals
> or a date -- actually, both might be good, since it will push the goals
> through too.
>
> > > Why not wait for Linux 2.4 while we're at it?
> > No! This will delay us another few months I am sure.
>
> I wasn't serious. But Branden wants to wait for X to be released.
> In the same vein, we could wait for a new kernel. (We shouldn't, though.)

just looking around for base stuff which could affect a lot of
packages in potato, it seems there are only two essential:

- X 3.3.4. Branden is ready to roll it into potato ASAP

- gcc 2.95. It is binary incompatible with egcs 1.1, therefore
  lots of stuff have to be recompiled against new libstdc++.
  Should be out this week/next week

The proposal is to wait for this big stuff, roll it in and then
immediately declare freeze. If X/gcc go out soon, freeze date
could be around Aug 1st.

> Hamish

OK