Re: Perl 5.005 in potato

*Michael Stone wrote:
> On Sun, May 09, 1999 at 10:47:16AM -0400, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
> > IMHO we should not freeze until we have a number of things working,
> > including fully functional boot disks, a cdrom generation setup, etc..
>
> I agree with this. These are important things, and you can't do a dist
> without them. Perl is really just another app. If gets in before the
  ( I am going to report you the secret perl police)
> important things are done, great. But I think that delaying releases
> soley for the sake of having one more shiny new app is not good. There's
> already a lot of new stuff in potato that would be great to release--why
> should it all wait on perl? (And, for that matter, if perl is really so
> important, why isn't it already done?)
	Because it is difficult. Building and installing perl is easy-- the
difficult part is ensuring smooth upgrades and partial upgrages, etc.  I
think quite a  few of the more skilled developers have given opinions and
there was no clear, easy, answer.
	It seemed to me that things were delayed by
	1) delays in boot disks and building of CD images, etc.
	2) delays in important links in the logistics , eg flattening the
archive.
	3) A few persistant release-critical bugs, which probably were not
related to late uploads of large systems of packages.

	I suppose 1, and 2 are due to anarchy and overworked volunteers.  At
any rate, I predict that, perl will be uploaded, dependent packages will be
uploaded, and then months will pass before the release, during which time,
the perl problem will be fixed and forgotten.
	( I suggest keeping this message so you can repost it when it is
found that perl 5.005 has destroyed the entire distribution :) )

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org