Re: Perl 5.005 in potato

On Sat, May 08, 1999 at 09:28:33PM -0700, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:

> > > The major complaint I hear is that debian takes too long between
> > > releases. Redoing everything that touches perl isn't going to help that
> > > concern. If someone wants to package it, great--but it's not worth
> > > holding up the release for it.
>
> AOL!

Just a clarification I'd like to make, for the covering of my own behind...

As the topic in #debian so eloquently states:
-:- Topic for #debian: Is a quick release cycle analogous with 'just
[getting] it out'? Not if it's organized. (Aaron) || Debian does not do
'just get it out', we SHOULD NOT do 'just get it out', we get it stable
or we don't release it.. (Mercury) || ... etc

I agree with mercury completely. Debian is devoted to technical superiority,
not catering to public desire for stable bleeding edge software. This is the
only reason I became a debian developer... However, I think we can go much
farther in making more frequent releases without sacrificing quality. The
organization of the project is at fault, if it can truly be called a fault.

As you may have guessed by now, I personally have great interest vested in
seeing potato released in a timely manner. I'm not willing to sacrifice its
quality, however. Yet, volume of updated software is never to be associated
with the level of superiority we strive for... In the meantime, I will most
probably devote more of my time to debian over the next five months than I
ever have before.

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

"...Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing..."
	-- Ralph Waldo Emerson