Re: Corel Setup Design Proposal

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 11:28:01PM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:
> There is one way out of this hole, call Qt a major component of the operating
> system. The GPL has a clause that says it can be used with libraries
> distributed under a more restrictive licence than the GPL, if that library is
> normally distributed as a major component of the operating system. You could
> argue if the system is based on KDE then Qt fits this description, but others
> would disagree.

If you do that I will have to hurt you.  =>  That is an absolutely crappy
solution and seems much like a cop-out solution.  I object to this and I
_WANT_ KDE in main!  Others would argue that Qt must be priority greater
than optional for this or something silly like that, but I'll argue
instead that using the "major parts of the system" clause is silly in
itself.

(
  Yes I agree that we COULD, but do not believe for a second that we
  SHOULD.  Let's do this right.
)

Personally, I don't often talk about social good because when I hear other
people talk about social good, that's when I reach for my revolver.
        -- Eric Raymond