Re: Corel Setup Design Proposal

Sven LUTHER wrote:

> On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 10:44:26AM -0500, Justin N. Penney wrote:
> > Couldn't it just use the XF86_VGA server as the default and then the user
> > would be asked to select their card?
> >

> No, since it is an essential part of the setup system, what if your card is not
> supported by XF86_VGA ? what if it needs strange parameters ? if you want to do all
> setup under X, you need an X that will work flawlessly, ...
>
> I don't think this is impossible to do, just that it is difficult, and since the
> original author didn't mention it later, i wanted to be sure he took notice of it.
>
> Also, i guess the corel guys want to do a i386 only distrib (what about arm ?), but
> if they want some change in the debian install tools, they have to be conscient
> that debian is multi architecture, ...

Here's some more details.
A.The X install would use the VGA16 server.
B.You could also do the install with curses via console, and no X.
C.Yes there would have to be architecture specific modifications to the process,
but hopefully by keeping it flexible in its design, it would be doable.

Thanks
Dave