Re: [mingp@corel.ca: Anyone in Debian working on or following IPP to make it available on Linux???]

On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 12:08:58PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 06:38:46PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
>
> > I'm interested in printing and Linux, however I haven't a printer yet.
> > I have heard that setting up printing to the point that everything
> > that CAN print just knows how to and does so sanely either just
> > doesn't work in Linux, or is an absolute PITA to set up unless your
> > printer happens to be an Apple LaserWriter or similar PostScript
> > printer.
>
> not true...at least, not any more.
>
> install lprng. install magicfilter. answer a few easy questions (like
> what kind of printer do you have, what port is it connected to).
>
> instant working printer, optionally available as a network printer.
> trivially easy.
>

> magicfilter supports dozens of printers itself (most of the common
> ones). in addition, gs and gs-aladdin supports many more printers - if
> you have one which isn't supported by magicfilter, just configure gs and
> tell magicfilter you have a postscript printer.

Unfortunately my recent experience with an Epson 740 proved to be different.
Note that the 640/740 are the home standard printers sold by Epson right
now. magicfilter doesn't know about the uniprint ghostscript driver yet so
I had to configure my own filter with the correct ghostscript options.
For ghostscript to work in highend mode (1440*720dpi) you've got to
search Dejanews for the right .upp file which was just recently hacked by
Dale Pontius.

Conclusion: for a newbie the Epson 740 is basically unsupported by Debian

Greetings,

				Christian

--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de