Re: now that the logo contest is over...

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Ted Whalen wrote:

> I also liked the logos for which the symbolism for Debian was readily
> apparent.  Animal metaphors that needed a lot of explanation, or whose
> animals have different unrelated associations.  I put the ant and the
> wolf in this category.  When I work on Debian, I don't feel like an ant
> or a wolf, I feel like a bee or a person.  I suppose some of the more
> important developers feel like overworked Djinn, especially lately.

I think that the most important aspects of a logo is that it is
easily recognized and associated with Debian. The exact
explanation of how it is related with the Debian society must
come in second hand, and can be described in detail on e.g. the
Debian web server.

And now to the logos I prefer:

raul-1
This one is genieous ;-)
No seriously, it's simple & easily recognized. The simplicity is
a big advantage though it makes the logo easily reproducible in a
format that will allow scaling without loss of quality.

idsfa-4
I like the association with the Debian society as working bees
(see motivation in the idsfa-0 submission).

villate-3
I also like the association with the orca (see Andreas Tille's
mails to debian-devel regarding this). The orca also have the
advantage compared to the bee, that it is more easily drawn and
thus more reproducible and scalable.

/Fredrik Ax <fax@df.lth.se>