Re: Bug #32888: I think this is a bug in apt.

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 02:40:30PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > IMHO, it is not a bug that dpkg lets the user to remove an essential
> > package by using
> >
> > dpkg --force-remove-essential --remove essentialpackage
> >
> > It is a bug that the packaging system does it on behalf of the user
> > by asking a simple yes/no question (which is what apt seems to do).
> >
> > In this case, at least, I would suggest apt to ask the question
> > in such way that "No" is the default answer.
>
> dpkg should let you do it [...]

No, dpkg does *not* let you do it:

# dpkg --remove gzip
dpkg: error processing gzip (--remove):
 This is an essential package - it should not be removed.
 gzip

If you think dpkg should let you to do it, submit a bug against
dpkg so that --force-remove-essential is on by default.

Thanks.

--
 "32b39ce3ad80a05cdbe0ca5bc15c042d" (a truly random sig)