Re: [Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>] Re: Debian & BSD concerns

On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 11:54:22PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > Now to address the issue of choice, what have you got against it?  No
> > there isn't a whole lot to be gained on the technical side from a BSD
> > kernel in a Debian operating system, not for Linux anyway.  For the most
> > part it would be the BSD project whose kernel we used that would benefit.
>
> That's quite an arrogant view. You're assuming that FreeBSD users do
> not find their user space quite adequate as-is.

On the contrary.  We aren't using their userspace so their userspace
wouldn't benefit from our work much.  Their kernel would.

> I did strike up a dialog with the FreeBSD user I know, but we ended up
> in a discussion of the virtues and implementation of FreeBSD's
> /compat/linux instead. It sounds like we could add some value to FreeBSD
> by providing dpkg and current Linux libraries in /compat/linux. RPM
> is already available. I am going to install FreeBSD again once I can get
> my hands on a CD.

I'd need HD space and a cdrom first, but I'm working on getting both so
that I can actually play with it.  I could care less about block cursor
as long as it don't blink, that would bug me.  =>

--
"Do you think she's the sincere type? ... Yeah, I was afraid of that."
                        -- Richie Ryan, Highlander: The Series