[Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>] Re: Debian & BSD concerns

-- forwarded message --

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 06:38:55 -0500
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
To: jgoerzen@complete.org
Subject: Re: Debian & BSD concerns

      In the past few days, there has been a proposal, and apparently
    growing support for, a Debian version distributed with FreeBSD.

I see no benefit in it.  It is true that some people are doing foolish
things with Linux, and with GNU/Linux systems, such as promoting
non-free applications on them.  But changing Debian to use FreeBSD
would not stop those practices.  People can do the same things with
the FreeBSD kernel as they do with Linux.  This solution seems to have
nothing to do with the problem.

    What is your take on the issue?  How should the Linux community best defend
    itself against an onslaught of commercialization (binary-only drivers,
    etc.)?

I think the best approach is to organize more efforts to
reverse-engineer drivers, and speak up more in public about why
non-free drivers are a way of giving up your freedom.

Feel free to forward this message to mailing lists where it is
appropriate.