Re: [Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>] Re: Debian & BSD concerns

On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 09:56:23PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > I wasn't aware that the problem we were trying to solve with a GNU/BSD
> > port was one of people using non-free software or binary-only
> > drivers.  I thought it was just because we're a bunch of geeks who
> > want to do something geek-worthy.
>
> Well, originally there was one person who asked about it.  Then, when
> it became clear that there was no technological advantage, people
> started out with these Linux horror stories -- companies "taking over"
> with binary-only drivers, RedHat conspiracy theories, etc.
>
> This is simply a response to that.

You're certainly impartial on this matter.  What's right for you has to
be right for everyone, is that it?  There are two seperate issues here,
what's happening with Linux and that people want to build an alternative
to Linux.  You apparently believe what some of us think is happening to
Linux isn't happening first of all.  To dismiss our fears as "horror
stories" and "conspiracy theories" clearly indicates your contempt for
our fears.

Since you thought it necessary to drag Richard into this to support your
position and discount mine, I propose you ask him if he too thinks those
of us who are worried about the Linux based platform becoming proprietary
or not.

Now to address the issue of choice, what have you got against it?  No
there isn't a whole lot to be gained on the technical side from a BSD
kernel in a Debian operating system, not for Linux anyway.  For the most
part it would be the BSD project whose kernel we used that would benefit.
Still, Debian would benefit while Linux itself would probably hardly feel
any affect at all.  Certainly we're not likely to do any serious harm to
Linux or the GNU project and not the Debian project either.

--
"There are 3 things to remember about being a Starship Captain:
 Keep your shirt tucked in, go down with the ship, and never,