Re: [Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>] Re: Debian & BSD concerns

On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 02:36:01AM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> Now to address the issue of choice, what have you got against it?  No
> there isn't a whole lot to be gained on the technical side from a BSD
> kernel in a Debian operating system, not for Linux anyway.  For the most
> part it would be the BSD project whose kernel we used that would benefit.

That's quite an arrogant view. You're assuming that FreeBSD users do
not find their user space quite adequate as-is.

I did strike up a dialog with the FreeBSD user I know, but we ended up
in a discussion of the virtues and implementation of FreeBSD's
/compat/linux instead. It sounds like we could add some value to FreeBSD
by providing dpkg and current Linux libraries in /compat/linux. RPM
is already available. I am going to install FreeBSD again once I can get
my hands on a CD.

Hamish