Re: [Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>] Re: Debian & BSD concerns

I wasn't aware that the problem we were trying to solve with a GNU/BSD
port was one of people using non-free software or binary-only
drivers.  I thought it was just because we're a bunch of geeks who
want to do something geek-worthy.

On the "but people might take our work and make it binary-only" issue,
the debian tools are (and would be) still under the GPL.  What could
be made binary-only is just bits of the kernel, (and other
bsd-licensed stuff) and in that case it's not our work that is being
"non-freed", it's the work of the upstream authors.  I really don't
see what people are concerned about here - it'll be the BSD people's
work and effort that will be non-freed, not ours, and while I might
extend a bit of sympathy, if they wanted to prevent that kind of stuff
there's nothing stopping them from using the GPL.  (Or the linux
kernel license, which is GPL + BSD advert. exception)